This kit has been designed to eliminate your troublesome gear reduction boxes and allows a straight axle direct from the transmission to the wheels, resulting in better power transfer from the engine.ﾠ It is very important that the instructions provided here be followed to insure a trouble-free installation.ﾠ It is also recommended that you have a copy of the 63-67 factory workshop manual, an excellent reference to consult with.
Additional Parts Needed.
The following items are required for this conversion.
- Swing Axle Conversion Kit
- 2 x Long axle shafts out of a 68 Beetle or 61-68 Type 3
- 2 x Rear axle bearing covers out of a 61-66 Beetle
- 2 x Rear Axle bearings (use new ones only)
- 2 x Outer Axle Bearing spacers and 2 inner spacers
- 2 x Rear axle nuts ? 36mm Hex (if your Bus is a 64-67)
- 2 x Cotton pins for the rear axle nuts (5x50mm)
- 2 x Axle Boots with clamps and hardware
You will need to update your brakes by doing one of the following below.
Installation Articles Type 2 >1963
- Use your original drums but they must be machined ﾾ? off at the snout and machining the inner-most lip flush, this allows you to need the following:
Type 2 1964-1967
- 1968-1979 Type 1 Rear Backing Plates
- 1968-1979 Type 1 Rear Brake Shoes
- 1968-1979 Type 1 FRONT Wheel cylinders
-You can install the kit with the above parts if you can find some pre 1963 Drums.ﾠ If not the only other alternative is to use 64-65 Type 3 Rear Brakes with the following:
- 1954-65 Notchback/Squareback Rear Drums
- 1954-54 Notchback.Squareback Rear Backing Plates
- 1303 Front Wheel Cylinders
- or our BAD Series Brakes
You will need to update your transmission by doing one of the following.
- Stock Bus Transmission ? A 60-67 Tunnel Transmission from your Bus can be used by flipping the Ring Gear from one side to the other.
- Stock Type 1 or Type 3 Transmission ? A much better choice, because gearing is a lot more friendly to the engine.
- We recommend a 67 or 68 Type 3 Tranny because of the excellent Ring and Pinion gearing.
- Note ? when proceeding with this option you must use your original nosecone (60-67) and nosecone shift-rod from your original bus transmission
- Go here to view our Knowledge Base